Information security challenges facing cloud computing: critical appraisal study
This paper aims at identifying and discussing the most important security challenges of cloud computing with the goal of reaching conclusions about these challenges and some proposed solutions to them. It presented an evaluation critique of a group of literature on this topic. To achieve its goals the paper used the critical evaluation methodology applied to a group of previous studies.
The most important results of this paper were that the presented studies agreed that the most prominent challenges facing cloud computing are as follows, ranked from strongest to weakest:
First, Data security; Second, attackers, hackers and malicious insiders; Third, poor infrastructure, government legislation, and Networks problems; Fourth, the financial cost; Fifth, lack of experience and absence of guarantees; And sixth, social engineering, and the existence of solutions that make the use of cloud computing more secure, although it is not 100% guaranteed, but it is 90% feasible. This scientific paper recommended the necessity of conducting more studies that secure information in cloud computing and finding practical solutions to face these challenges. It also recommended the need to study the intellectual security of users of such technologies and increase the spread of cultural and moral awareness when using such applications, especially in our conservative societies in the Islamic and Arab world.
Keywords: information security, cloud computing, encryption, data storage regulations, identity and authentication management
Lina Muhammad Al-Ghamdi. Information security challenges facing cloud computing: critical appraisal study. Acta Scientiae et Intellectus, 6(4)2020, 82-98.
- Abbas, Irfan. Ahmad, Munib. Faizan, Muhammad (2020). Issues and Challenges of Cloud Computing in Performance Augmentation for Pervasive Computing. Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Electrical, https://bit.ly/3mEM0uN
- Z.F. Zaaba, Y.Z. An. Samsudin, N.F. (2016). Reviews on Security Issues and Challenges in Cloud Computing, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Universiti Sains Malaysia. https://bit.ly/37yAuL1.
- Narendra, Rao Tadapaneni (2020). Cloud computing security challenges. International Journal of Innovations in Engineering Research and Technology.
- Al-Arifi, Hessa bint Saad (2019). A visualized proposal based on cloud computing to develop university leadership performance. Journal of the Islamic University of Educational and Psychological Studies. King Saud University. https://bit.ly/36zh0Xs.
- Zakaria, Mahmoud Sharif (2018). The future of the library and information profession in the cloud computing environment, requirements and challenges. Academic Journal Mag. 5 P.10 Taibah University. https://bit.ly/3ojtBUI.
- Atobishi, Thabit & Gabor, Szalay (2018). “Cloud computing and big data in the context of industry 4.0: opportunities and challenges”, IISES Annual Conference, Sevilla, 05 March.
- Chong, Ngo Yang. Bakht, Humayun (2018). "An Analysis of Threats and Challenges in the Deployment of Cloud Computing", International Journal of Computing and Network Technology, University of Warwick United Kingdom. https://bit.ly/3ok0658.
- Nasarul, Islam K.V (2017). Review on Cloud Computing Benefits and Security Challenges International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies, Vol. 8 (2). https://bit.ly/33CeFsX.
- El-Seoud, Samir A. El-Sofany, Hosam F. (2017). Big Data and Cloud Computing: Trends and Challenges. British University in Egypt-BUE, Cairo, International Journal of Interactive Mobile Technologies (iJIM).
- Al-Abd Al-Jabbar, Al-Jawhara bint Abdulrahman (2016). Challenges of Academics' Use of Cloud Computing for Knowledge: An Exploratory Study of the Academic Staff at the College of Arts, Princess Noura Bint Abdulrahman University. King Fahd National Library Journal, Volume 22, No. 1. https://bit.ly/2Vy59CP.
- R. Velumadhava Raoa, K. Selvamanib (2015). Data Security Challenges and Its Solutions in Cloud Computing, Procedia Computer Science. https://bit.ly/37BhGef.
- D. Ryan, Mark (2013). Cloud computing security: The scientific challenge, and a survey of solutions. The Journal of Systems and Software, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK.
- Gurudatt Kulkarni, Ruchira Chandorkar, Rajnikant Palwe (2012). Cloud Security Challenges, 7th International Conference on Telecommunication Systems, Services India.